The SciTech group does research and development on software systems to help scientists manage large-scale computations. We work with scientists in domains ranging from genomics and proteomics to seismology and gravitational wave physics. We help scientists deploy their computations on some of the largest and fastest computing systems in the world. Our main project is the Pegasus Workflow Management system, which is used to orchestrate complex, large-scale data processing and computation pipelines. Pegasus compiles abstract, high-level workflow descriptions into efficient executable workflows that can be deployed on diverse cyberinfrastructure. In this process it expands and optimizes the workflow, adding data management tasks and performing task clustering, cleanup and other optimizations.
The SciTech group is part of the USC Information Sciences Institute (ISI). A unit of the University of Southern California’s highly ranked Viterbi School of Engineering, ISI is one of the nation’s largest, most successful university-affiliated computer research institutes. ISI researchers bridge the gap between theoretical basic research and product-oriented research and development. Its diverse expertise ranges from core engineering and computer science discovery to design, modeling and implementation of innovative prototypes and devices. A pacesetter for more than 40 years, ISI helped conceive, design and implement the Internet, including communications protocols that remain fundamental to Net operations such as TCP/IP, ICMP, DNS and SMTP. Today ISI’s research initiatives span a broad range of fields including: intelligent systems such as natural language processing, machine translation and information integration; informatics that include computer networks, medical informatics and decision systems; computational systems such as supercomputing approaches and biomimetics; and advanced electronics for space and other purposes.
ISI is located in beautiful, sunny Marina Del Rey, California. Our offices overlook and are just minutes from the beach.
Current open positions:
- Plans, organizes and schedules activities to meet objectives. Ensures that these are well-documented and communicated to project personnel.
- Evaluates, recommends and implements procedures for data acquisition, management and quality control. Prepares technical reports and papers on study plans, progress and results of research activities.
- Helps to develop and manage project budgets. Prepares and/or directs the preparation of financial reports as required. Directs ongoing purchasing activities including authorizations of one-time major purchases.
- Plans and staffs project operations based on proposed research activities and timelines. Includes negotiation and oversight of subcontracted services as necessary. Motivates and monitors the progress of work performed by project staff to include senior technical personnel.
- Identifies funding sources and opportunities. Authors technical proposals and/or works with researchers to develop project proposals. Interfaces with funding agencies to exchange information regarding project status and to build and maintain rapport to enhance opportunities for additional funding.
- Plans and participates in meetings, discussion groups and other types of events to promote project visibility. Engages in presentations on behalf of the project.
- Coordinates and/or links project operations with other administrative and research functions on and off campus. Serves as a key resource for project information and resolves problems or questions referred by internal and external sources.
- Helps gather information for and disseminate information to the project website and social media.
- Establishes and maintains an active network of professional contacts.
Administrative Assistant II
- Organizes and expedites flow of work through the group. Initiates follow-up action. Serves as resource to others on departmental and university procedures or in the resolution of moderate to complex problems or issues. Interacts with university offices and/or supervisor’s subordinates to facilitate communications and information exchange.
- Composes and produces a variety of business correspondence, reports, confidential documents and/or forms, and related materials.
- Ensures confidentiality and controls access to sensitive information.
- Coordinates and assists with group functions, as assigned, such as seminars, interview presentations, meetings with funders, etc. Arranges with vendors for catering and makes arrangements for sites/facilities and any equipment needed.
- Organizes workshops and interacts with external researchers.
- Assists in budget planning with contracts and grants by providing estimates of costs for items such as travel, equipment, etc.
- Maintains and modifies the groups’s Web site including content, graphical and multimedia displays and communications. Gathers feedback for Web site improvement and enhancement. Tests, maintains and ensures functionality of links. Monitors Web site for consistency, cross-referencing and compliance with university standards for Web site content and development.
- Sets up new faculty, staff, Graduate Research Assistants, Visiting Research Assistants, Student Workers, Directed Research students, and other visitors and volunteers with office space, access cards, parking, keys, computers, email, and other office equipment, as needed. Provides guidance and instruction on ISI procedures.
- Makes travel arrangements, domestic and international.
- Reconciles expense reports.
Postdoctoral Scholar – Research Associate
The ideal candidate would have strong system programming skills with experience in distributed computing and scientific computing.
- Develop new tools and leverage existing tools to profile scientific applications for I/O and performance characteristics.
- Development of methodologies for collection and dissemination of multi-sourced performance and application data.
- Development of ML techniques for workflow performance analysis and infrastructure troubleshooting
- Takes lead in publishing the research in related conferences and journals.